An in-depth interview with Troy Rincon, formally Director of Training & Development with Lexmark:
1. What were your perceptions about sales training before you became a Sandler Training client and were you reluctant in any way?
We were seeking a sales training methodology and knew that we needed to add a dynamic program to increase our team’s sales wins. When looking for a program, they all started to sound the same, just different verbiage and our reluctance was around the cost of a program and would it really work!
2. Why did you decide to engage Sandler Training in sales training?
We chose Sandler based on a few criteria. First, there were internal champions who had seen the program in action at a pervious software company, and they had great success. Second, the program aligned well with what we were already doing and “stacked” really well on topic of the sales process we already had in place. Lastly, the benefit of having the Coffman Group locally was a huge gain, as there was not costs of travel and expense, plus added visibility with Casey constantly in the office providing coaching, review and training sessions.
3. How do you feel as a result of the Sandler Training
you are receiving?
The impact felt has been a boost to moral and confidence in the company focusing on real, tangible efforts to increase sales.
4. What skills has your team learned from Sandler Training?
The sales team has learned to help customers work through their Pain points towards a solution. They have also begun to appreciate the concept of “if you’re going to lose, lose early” and increased their ability to stop wasting their time on lost opportunities. I know the team has also enjoyed leveraging the concept of the negative reverse.
5. What technique or step has really made a difference in the effectiveness of your sales team?
I would say the same as number 4.
6. Why do you think this particular technique works so well?
The pain funnel in particular provides a framework to ask more questions than they normally would, allowing the customer to connect their current situation (painful) and the final outcome (positive) and allowing that to be based on the customers thought process, not something the sales person told them.
7. What accomplishments have you gained as a result of the Sandler Training?
We have seen an increase in deal size as well as an increase in pipeline quality, through better qualifying techniques, driving to pain, and quickly determining if a lead is worth pursuing.
8. Anything else you would like to add?
I have appreciated the ability to start small and grow a program that fits our business. The program continues
to provide great value for both our sales reps as well as our leadership team through 1:1 coaching with Casey,
monthly reinforcement sessions and on-boarding sessions for new hires.